Every once in a while I think about doing a newborn essentials blog post, but then I remember that the last thing the world needs is another newborn essentials blog post. In fact, there are so many of these posts with so many recommendations that I feel like some of these lists have been going a little over the top - probably in an effort to offer the best information - but in reality I feel like we are being told that we "need" many more things that we actually do. Going into parenthood I felt like there were so many things that we had to have or else Carter would likely die and we might as well be living on the streets. We ended up selling/returning a lot of the things I thought we couldn't live without!
And so here it is: my list of things that often appear on "essential" lists, but that you will probably do just fine without:
1. Baby Bathtub - For his first few baths we set Carter on the counter and bathed him sponge bath style. Once he got too mobile/too big we moved to the kitchen sink, and then to the bathtub. To make the bathtub transition easier we had Spencer get in with him so he would definitely have a good grip on Carter. Our apartment has zero extra storage space and so a baby bathtub is just not something we have room for - and we've done great without it!
2. Bottle Sanitizer - Honestly, are there people who spend money on those things?! Save yourself the $$ and the counter space, get a cleaning brush and you're good to go!
3. Wipes Warmer - I can definitely see the appeal to this, but I just don't think it's necessary. If it's in your budget, go for it. If it's not, don't sweat it!
4. Changing Table - We just sold our changing table the other day because of the space it was taking up, and we never used it! Carter moves too much for it to be safe anymore, and the floor works just as well. If you have a dresser in your nursery just get a changing pad and call it good.
5. Brand Name Items - But seriously. Sophie the Giraffe? I promise you do not need to spend more than $20 on a teething toy, even if everyone else has it! The pressure to keep up with the Jones' can be intense, but know your budget and remember that your baby will never know the difference :)
Anything else that you guys have seen on essential lists that you have done fine without?